30 de agosto de 2006

Limbo, Waits, Mahfouz

Yesterday, I watched at home John Sayle's Limbo, which I had seen at the cinema when it came out some years ago. I enjoyed it just as much.

In the film, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio plays a small time singer who ends up in a little town in Alaska. At one time, she sings Tom Waits' marvellous (Looking for) The Heart of Saturday Night, which made me go to my "archives" and dig up Waits' records :)

That's what I've been listening to as I drove to Toledo this morning.

Checking out the papers on the internet, I find out that Egyptian writer and Nobel Prize laureate Naguib Mahfouz, 95, passed away last night.

I have only read a few of his minor works, but for some reason I was fond of him. Though he was very old and sick, it was sad news.

Just now, I was reading Tom Waits' entry on Wikipedia and came across this:

"2001 also saw the release of trumpeter Dave Douglas's Witness, which includes the 25-minute track, "Mahfouz", named for Egyptian writer Naguib Mahfouz. Waits is featured in the song, reading an excerpt from Mahfouz's work."

1 comentario:

g dijo...

hey! me alegra ver que persistes en tu propósito de escribir en inglés... me gusta tu inglés.

Por otro lado no me esperaba lo de Mahfouz. Tenía esa idea peregrina de que nunca moriría. Es raro.