25 de agosto de 2006

Mi primera vez

This is the first time I'm actually posting something I've written in English. Hopefully not the last one. It's an extra effort I'm now willing to make.

Here are some of the reasons:

First and foremost, I love the language, more and more (right now, at this very moment, I'm listening to this Van Morrison's song). Contrary to most people here in Spain, who see the need to learn English as an imposition, even a cultural colonization, and as such try to oppose it, or at least don't welcome it, I see it mainly as an opportunity to communicate with more people, to get to know things that would otherwise be out of my reach.

English is the language of my favorite music, movies and tv series. My movie director of choice would be Billy Wilder, austrian-born yet one of the creators of the best American cinema. I love blues and jazz, the two genuine American contributions to world culture. Jokingly, I usually say that in a previous life I was a black man from New Orleans, the land of dreams...

Also, lately I've been reading some blogs written either both in English and Spanish or only in English, by people, I assume, whose mother tongue is not English. And that has just made me jealous :)

So here I am.

Hello everybody.

No hay comentarios: