1 de septiembre de 2006

Go Greece, Go!

I've just been watching the game between USA and Greece for a place in the final of the Basketball World Championship (one of the ups of working as a civil servant, especially when my manager is on holiday: I've taken a breakfast break of almost an hour...).

I, like everyone else in the cafeteria, was cheering for the greeks and am now exultant: "we" beat the americans, the NBA stars!!

I was about to write "against all odds", but this is no longer such a big surprise. The USA has the best ball players in the world, at least most of them, but they don't know how to play as a team. And, as we've just been shown, basketball is a team sport.

Greece, on the other side, is a great team. Even though they have some outstanding players, Papaloukas above them all, they play offense and defense in a collective fashion, one thing the americans seem to have forgotten.

I want to think it was not anti-americanism, but pro-europeism that moved us to support the reigning european champions :)

In less than an hour, Spain will face Argentina for the other spot in the final.

I surely will be supporting my national team, but I don't think that, if we win, I'll be as thrilled as I am now, after watching the amazing greeks beat the so-called Dream Team...

No hay comentarios: