31 de mayo de 2010

Lo que me habría gustado saber a los 18


Stephen Fry: What I wish I'd know when I was 18 from Peter Samuelson on Vimeo.

(Vía openculture.com)

Stephen Fry ya me caía bien antes de escuchar este vídeo. Ahora aún más.

[25:40]

...most of us feel different ...in teenage in particular, but almost all throught life of certain people there is this tension. On the one hand, you want to belong, you want to be a part of the tribe, you want to enclosed in a community and feel the friendship and all the fellowship of being connected. And another part of one wants to stand alone, and be an individual who is utterly different from everyone else, "they're the tribe, they are the muddy philistines, and I'm the artistic, sensitive soul". So you want to be a part of the tribe but you also want to be apart from the tribe. And there is that pull that I think gives us enormous creative tension. [...] It's that spark of electricity that makes people creative. It's their desire to be absolutely unique but also to their desire to belong.

[31:04]

I suppose the thing I would most have liked to have known, or to be reassured about, is that, in the world, what count more than talent, what counts more than energy, or concentration, or commitment, or anything else, is kindness.

And, the more in the world that you encounter kindness, and cheerfulness, which is this kind of amiable uncle or aunt, just the better the world always is. And all the big words: Virtue, Justice, Truth... are dwarfed by the greatness of kindness.

1 comentario:

c dijo...

Me ha encantado. Thanxs for sharing.